Only a day after Sony CEO Howard Stringer apologized to customers Thursday for last month’s massive data breach, a group of hackers is planning to strike again and launch another missive of cyber attacks against the company in retaliation for its handling of the hack, CNET reported.
An observer of the Internet Relay Chat channel used by the hackers revealed that a third cyber attack is planned this weekend against Sony’s website, according to CNET. The hackers, who said they have access to some of Sony’s servers, plan to publicize all or some of the information from the company’s servers, which could include customer names, credit card numbers and addresses, according to the source.
“Should the planned attack succeed, it would be the latest blow in a series of devastating security breaches of Sony’s servers over the past month,” wrote CNET’s Erica Ogg. “The failure of Sony’s server security has ignited investigations by the FBI, the Department of Justice, Congress, and the New York State attorney general, as well as data security and privacy authorities in the U.K., Canada and Taiwan.”
Sony has said it does not know who was behind the recent attack, but pointed its finger to online gathering Anonymous. Sony Computer Entertainment exec Kazuo Hirai told a Congressional subcommittee in a recent letter the hackers on the company’s servers left behind a file containing the statement “We are Legion,” which is part of Anonymous’ slogan.
Anonymous has denied any involvement with the breach, saying the company is exploiting the collective’s “previous ill will” to distract users from the fact the outage is “actually an internal problem with the company’s servers.”