With the latest disclosures from WikiLeaks, it became clear what many already suspected about the culprits behind the 2009 Google attacks: They originated from China.
The whistle-blower site on Sunday released another massive batch of diplomatic cables that contained communications between the Department of State and some 270 embassies and consulates, The New York Times reports.
One of the cables allegedly points out the Chinese government as the mastermind of Operation Aurora–a cyber attack that targeted Google and dozens of other corporations, defense contractors and federal agencies.
According to WikiLeaks, an unnamed source in China told the American Embassy in Beijing that China's Politburo directed the hack into Google's computer systems in that country. The cyber attack was part of a coordinated campaign of cyber sabotage carried out by government operatives, private security experts and hackers recruited by the Chinese government, who have hacked into U.S. government computers and those of Western allies, the Dalai Lama and American businesses since early 2000s, cables said, according to The Times.
Security experts have long suspected China to be behind the Google attacks. According to media reports earlier this year, the Google hackers seemingly originated from a China-based university, however, the Chinese government has vehemently denied its involvement in the Internet assaults.