A Morocco-based website offering Egyptian users a program to bypass online censorship fell victim to a complex cyber attack that made it inaccessible, AFP reported.
Dr. Francesco Landogna, CEO of the site Wall5.com, told AFP someone had brought down his site early Friday morning.
“Someone got into the site about four o’clock this morning and destroyed its means of access to the global web,” Francesco Landogna said.
Wall5 had set up a ghost portal that circumvented the virtual barriers implemented by Egyptian authorities since the start of the demonstrations against President Hosni Mubarak a week ago.
Landogna said there had been more than 200,000 downloads of the censorship-busting program by late Thursday, with both Algerian and Egyptian subscribers using it.
Speculating about who could have launched the web assault, Landogna said, “These were people with sophisticated tools who got into the server and wrecked it.”
Although impossible to tell from where the attack originated, the Wall5 CEO said he thought it came from outside Morocco.