Following the Bay Area Rapid Transit’s decision last week to cut off underground cellphone service in several San Francisco stations, the notorious hacktivist collective Anonymous infiltrated the organization’s website yesterday and stole personal identification information on thousands of users.
About 2,400 members of the myBART.org website were notified Sunday that personal details of hundreds of users were stolen and posted online, BART officials said.
“We're doing what we can to defend against any attack on the BART website,” read an announcement on the BART site. “BART's website infrastructure is wholly separate from any computer network involved in the operation of BART service.”
Anonymous said the breach follows two recent shootings by BART police, one of which resulted in the death of a homeless man beside the Civic Center station tracks. Police were worried the shootings would trigger protests, so officials decided to shut down its mobile network service in order to quell any potential opposition.
“We do not tolerate oppression from any government agency,” Anonymous said. “BART has proved multiple times that they have no problem exploiting and abusing the people.”
As part of Anonymous’ “Operation Bart,” the group is calling today for people to gather at the San Francisco Civic Center BART station for a demonstration.
“Remember to bring your mask, and remember that this is a peaceful protest,” the group said in a video posted online. “Anonymous does not support violent action and it is discouraged.”